Wednesday, December 21, 2005

 

Get Involved in Leading Organizations

As I mentioned on this blog a few days ago, I sent out the HBR article to folks on my LinkedIn list who live in the US. I'm still calling back those that responded to my email. Today I spoke with Diana Waters, who is another fellow UCLA alum. In addition to being an executive recruiter, she is also the VP of Membership for the Association for Strategic Planning.

If you are interested in strategic planning, I encourage you to check out their website and join. Diana is especially interested in finding people to take a leadership role out in the East Coast, to help in starting new chapters for the Association for Strategic Planning.

In my experience, the best way to network is to take an active role in the leadership of a professional organization. I was on the Board of Directors for the National Association of Asian American Professionals, and helped to organize their annual conference. I discovered that it is much easier to network with executives in such a role. For example, I was able to invite Jerry Yang of Yahoo to speak at our NAAAP annual conference, when Yahoo was just a small startup.

So, bottom line is, try to get involved in a few organizations, volunteer your time and energy in organizing activities, and take on leadership roles.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google