Saturday, December 10, 2005

 

Why Create This Blog?

It's 11:52 PM on a Saturday night. I have finally created my blog. It's been something on my To Do list for a while, but I finally did it. My family is sound asleep, but I'm typing away.

For those of you who know me, especially from 1994 to 2001, you may recall getting a weekly email from me. In this email, I would write a bit about something interesting I did that week, followed by a piece of wholesome humor, then followed by a mental puzzle, or inspirational story.

The origins of this weekly email was that I forwarded a humorous email to people in my small group. A week later, I sent another email, and thought, hey, I should do this every week. Then I started to add more and more friends. Then I started to add colleagues from work. Then I added people I had networked with in a variety of settings. I guess I have always been an extrovert and loved to network, so I thought that a weekly email would help me to keep in touch with everyone. At the end, this weekly email was going out to about 1600 people. Of course, most people never replied to my emails, but every week, a handful of people would reply and let me know how they are doing. So my emails did help me to stay connected to my friends and acquaintances.

In many ways, my weekly emails were my blogs (back when blogs didn't exist). When blogging became popular, I thought about creating a blog, and posting all of my previous emails. Then I decided that it would be too strange to publish my past into a present day blog. So, I pondered what should I write a blog about?

There are millions of blogs in the world. I didn't want to write a blog about just my own experiences. I want to write a blog that will help others, and give me a chance to share some of my thoughts and experiences. I am passionate about several things, and networking is one of them. A-Ha!, I decided to write this blog about how networking can help all of us improve our careers, develop deeper friendships, give and receive help from others, and learn things from a variety of people.

In the area of networking, I am a student just as you. We are all learning and doing at the same time. I welcome your suggestions and thoughts on how to network more effectively.

See you in cyberspace!

-Josh Li

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google