Thursday, January 05, 2006

 

Email People You've Met Right Away

Last night, I attended a mixer hosted by the NY Chapter for the alums of the UCLA Anderson School of Management. Many of the folks who attended are current students, visiting NYC to check out summer internships in NY.

One of the things I like to do after meeting people, is to send them an email right away. Typically, I find that when you meet someone at a networking meeting, if you don't contact them right away, they will forget who you are. If you contact them later, they may wonder how you met.

Ever since I joined LinkedIn, I use LinkedIn to send out these emails. I enter in the names and email addresses of everyone I meet, and send them a customized invitation to join LinkedIn and connect to me.

Here is an example of what I wrote:

It was a pleasure meeting you last night at the Anderson networking event. I would like to invite you to join LinkedIn and keep in touch through this wonderful networking tool. There is also a UCLA Anderson group within LinkedIn that you can join.

You don't have to use LinkedIn or any of other networking tools to send out emails. However, I would highly recommend that you send a short note to the people you meet at networking events (preferably that day or the day after) to suggest keeping in touch.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google